What is legal doctrine?
Legal doctrine is the set of teachings, theories and instructions that are interpreted as valid in legal matters. It represents the knowledge and opinions of legal experts, such as lawyers and academics, on legal issues that are interpreted as valid in legal matters.
It is not considered an official source of law in Spain, and although it is not binding, its analysis may influence the interpretation of the law.
Legal doctrine fulfills several functions in the legal field, such as:
- Analyze the sources of law
- Clarify the meaning of legal rules and develop concepts and categories to better understand them
- Resolve doubts or gaps that legal regulations or their practical application may have
- Propose reforms or changes in legal regulations or in the legal system in general
- Contribute to the scientific and cultural development of law